Latin students from Westwood High School successfully competed at the annual Texas State Junior Classical League (TSJCL) competition, winning first place among multiple categories.
The TSJCL fosters the study of ancient Greek and Latin topics in the modern age, according to the organization. The TSJCL is one of more than 1,000 chapters of the National Junior Classical League, an international organization that encourages the same activities as the TSJCL.
“We are incredibly proud of the hard work and dedication that our Latin students showcased while representing Warrior Nation,” Westwood Principal Mario Acosta said. “Their passion for continued knowledge is an outstanding representation of what it means to be a Westwood Warrior.”
The winning students, as well as their awards and categories, are listed below:
- Patrick Reed, 40 meter dash, first place, Roman life, second place,
- Matthew Frizzell, decathlon, first place,
- Anna-Marie Purcell, Annabelle Kicks, Sunny Rajput, Alexis Chang, Anna Hagen, Aneesh Thallapureddy, Patrick Reed, Pentathlon, maxima,
- Aaron Greisdorf, Vivian Tran, Terrence Klock, Megan Bruce, Lyle Moss, Pilar Padilla, Pentathlon, magna,
- Matthew Frizzell and Luke Gretta, Pentathlon, summa and
- Naveen Rajan, Rithika Prakash and Zoe Rowe, Pentathlon, cum laude.