The Round Rock ISD Board of Trustees celebrated Youth Art Month, received updates on construction projects throughout the District and approved competitive sealed bids for two upcoming construction projects at its March 23 regular Board Meeting.
Board celebrates Fine Arts in RRISD
The Round Rock ISD Board of Trustees celebrated fine arts participation with Music in our Schools Month, Theatre in our Schools Month, Youth Art Month and National Dance Week.
RRISD currently has 100 percent participation in music and art at the elementary level and 100 percent participation in a general fine arts course in middle and high school. Middle school students enroll in fine arts courses beyond the minimum requirement at a rate of 81 percent while 42 percent of high school students enroll beyond the requirements.
Fine arts programs prepare students to succeed at the state and national level with 113 individual students selected to participate in state and national competitions. Fifty-eight percent of RRISD top ten graduates in 2016 were enrolled in sequential fine arts courses.
Board received District construction updates
Chief Operating Officer Bob Cervi presented construction updates on Westwood High School Phase 3, McNeil High School Phase 1, Round Rock High School Phase 3B, the Cedar Ridge High School Fine Arts Auditorium, Pearson Ranch Middle School and the Stony Point High School Fine Arts Auditorium.
- Westwood Phase 3 is on track to be substantially completed by the end of May. Seven portables will be removed from Westwood as a result of the completion, making more parking spots available.
- McNeil will open its new agriculture classroom in mid-April as part of Phase 1. The barn is currently available for use.
- Round Rock Phase 3B will be complete in mid-April in preparation for the 2017-2018 school year. Installation of cabinetry will begin in April.
- Programs and equipment will be ready to move into the Cedar Ridge Fine Arts Auditorium in August.
Pearson Ranch Middle School will be complete by the end of June. New tiles were recently selected to reflect the school’s colors of indigo and silver.
- The Stony Point Fine Arts Auditorium will break ground this summer. The construction crews will add parking before the 2017-2018 school year while workers utilize existing parking lots. The District expects the auditorium to be completed by August 2018.
Board approves bids for portable roof replacements, Voigt gym expansion
The Round Rock ISD Board of Trustees approved competitive sealed bids for two upcoming projects within the District.
The Board awarded a bid to QA Construction Services, Inc. for $277,175 to replace roofs on 20 District owned portable buildings. The re-roofing project is part of Bond 2014 and is scheduled to begin this summer.
The Board awarded a $755,985 bid to S&G Contracting, INC to complete the gym expansion at Voigt Elementary School. The expansion is part of Bond 2014. The gym expansion is scheduled to be completed by August 2017.