The purpose of the Round Rock ISD Student Advisory Board (SAB) is to provide an avenue of participation and involvement of secondary student leaders in the District. The SAB will offer advice on student concerns to the Superintendent from the perspective of the students in RRISD. The primary mission will be to promote the RRISD goals through student input into those areas that impact student performance, safety and security, dropout prevention, and other areas of concern.
The SAB will consist of a total of approximately 28 students from RRISD secondary campuses. Typically, the membership will be made up of middle school student council presidents, high school student council presidents, high school senior class presidents, and high school junior class presidents. Superintendent (or designee) may request to add an additional student(s) to the SAB. A staff member designee will also be assigned by the Superintendent to serve as the group Sponsor.
Term of Service
All members of the Student Advisory Board will serve for one school year or at the conclusion of their term in office at their campus at the end of the academic school year.
Student Advisory Board Goals
Diversity, Equity, and Justice
- Promote a school environment respectful to the individual needs of diverse populations including race, gender, special needs, poverty, and political views
- Address barriers to success for students related to equity and justice
- Promote a school and District environment that is welcoming and inclusive of all
Academic Competency and Higher Education
- Create awareness about opportunities for higher education and to communicate a message to middle and high school students to dream big and envision a way to go to college or seek other forms of post-secondary education in order to have highly-skilled careers
- Support the District’s initiative to prepare all students for higher or post-secondary education
- Create awareness and discussion opportunities for students on campus to provide input on safety concern
- Support on and off campus school anti-bullying and anti-violence campaigns
- Advocate for the social and emotional needs of students across the District
- Bring awareness to issues of student concern regarding mental health
- Encourage healthy habits and choices among peers in areas of physical health, emotional health, and mental health
- The Student Advisory Board will serve in an advisory role to the Superintendent of Schools.
- Student Advisory Board members will be provided opportunities to reinforce the idea of the democratic process.
- Meeting procedures:
- The Student Advisory Board will meet at least 6 times a year between October and May.
- The Student Advisory Board will meet during the times of 11:45 a.m. and 1:15 p.m.
- The Student Advisory Board will elect a president, vice-president, secretary and community service chairperson. The president and vice-president must be high school representatives.
- The Student Advisory Board’s monthly meeting will be held at the RRISD Administration Building.
- The Student Advisory Board will participate in community service project(s).
- The Student Advisory Board will submit an annual report to the Superintendent listing the concerns that affect a majority of the secondary students or majority of students at their campus.
- The Superintendent or designee will coordinate the functioning of the Student Advisory Board.
- The Student Advisory Board members will refer all media questions to the Superintendent of designee and will refrain from issuing public statements on behalf of the Student Advisory Board or RRISD.
2018-2019 Student Advisory Board Members
Officers for SAB
President- Blake Herrera
Vice President- Kevin Qi
Secretary- Sabrina Anim
Community Service Co-Chairs- Shruthi Nampoothiri
Middle School Representatives
Canyon Vista MS- Aadhi Raja (Student Council President)
CD Fulkes MS- Zynia McDonald (Student Council President)
Cedar Valley MS- Elizabeth Yoo (Student Council President)
Chisholm Trail MS- Maddie Baird (Student Council President)
Deerpark MS- Jack Robertson (Student Council President)
Grisham MS- Nicole Frazier (Student Council President)
Hernandez MS- Jocelyn Samala (Student Leader)
Hopewell MS- Kelly Burrows (Student Council President)
Pearson Ranch MS- Brian Jeon (Student Council President)
Ridgeview MS- Lily Pecoraro (Student Council President)
Walsh MS- Thomas McFall (Student Council President)
High School Representatives
Early College HS- Joslyn Luong (Student Leader- Freshman)
Success HS- Lake Epperson (Student Leader- Junior)
Cedar Ridge HS- Camille Barbosa (Student Council President)
Meg Kofron (Senior Class President)
Kayden Brewer (Junior Class President)
McNeil HS- Kevin Qi (Student Council President)
Garrett Marks (Senior Class President)
Kathryn Pua (Junior Class President)
Round Rock HS- Chantel Barnes (Student Council President)
Morganne Darling (Senior Class President)
Blake Herrera (Junior Class President)
Stony Point HS- Sabrina Anim (Student Council President)
ToniAnn Samuels (Senior Class President)
Destiny Millerd (Junior Class President)
Westwood HS- Janice Oh (Student Council President)
Shruthi Nampoothiri (Senior Class President)
Alice Zhang (Junior Class President)