RRISD Leave of Absence Types
WHO: RRISD employee for 12 months, worked 1,250 hours, no FMLA leave in the last 12 months
REASONS: Employee’s own serious health condition, birth of a child, care for newborn, or placement of a child with you for adoption or foster care, care for spouse, child or parent due to their serious health condition
PAY: Leave is unpaid unless employee has paid leave time (extended leave bank available – eligibility determined at time of application for leave)
Temporary Disability Leave
WHO: Full time employee whose position requires educator certification by SBEC
REASONS: Employee’s own serious health condition
PAY: Leave is unpaid unless employee has paid leave time, runs concurrent with FMLA leave time
ADA (American with Disabilities Act) Accommodations
WHO: RRISD employee
REASONS: Employee’s own serious health condition (Medical Certification required)
PAY: Leave as a reasonable accommodation is unpaid by the District, unless employee has
approved paid leave time
COVID-19 Related ADA Request: RRISD employee
REASONS: Employee has COVID-19 or Employee High-Risk COVID-19 Concern
WHO: RRISD employee / Guest Educator
REASONS: Sustained an injury while working
Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL)
- Employee Subject to federal, state, local isolation order due to COVID-19 (exposed to coworker/student/family member)
- Employee has been advised by health care provider to quarantine due to COVID-19 (exposed to coworker/student/family member; experiencing symptoms; Positive COVID-19 test result)
- Employee is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and seeking medical diagnosis
Pay: Full time employee: 80 hours at regular rate of pay, subject to caps noted below
Part time employee: Number of hours the employee works on average, subject to caps noted below
Cap for Pay: Payments capped at $511 a day ($5,110 in total)
Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL): 2/3 Pay
- Employee is caring for an individual advised to quarantine
- Employee is caring for a Son or Daughter whose school or place of care is closed
Pay: Receive up to two-thirds of their pay, and that benefit is limited to $200 a day ($2,000 in total)
*Currently available through December 31, 2020
Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act (EFMLA)
- Employee is unable to work due to son or daughter’s school or place of care being closed
WHO: Under this policy, full-time and part-time employees who have been on RRISD payroll for 30 days, prior to taking the leave. If at any time in the past 12 months an employee took FMLA leave, that leave time will reduce the eligible EFMLA leave time, an employee may not exceed a total of 12 weeks under FMLA and EFMLA in the past 12 months.
PAY: EFMLA provides for a combination of unpaid and paid leave.
- The first 10 days of EFMLA may be unpaid. An employee may choose to take any existing pay benefit (personal, local, vacation) during the 10-day unpaid period, or the 10 days may be paid under emergency paid sick leave, if taken for a qualifying reason.
- After ten days of unpaid leave, employees are entitled to 10 weeks of job-protected leave of two-thirds their usual pay. Part-time employees are entitled to be paid two-thirds of their usual pay based on the average number of hours worked for the six months prior to taking the leave.
- The cap of the paid leave entitlement for employees is $200 per day ($10,000 in the aggregate).
District policy states that a Leave of Absence form is required when an employee will be absent for medical reasons that qualify for leave under the FMLA guidelines (including intermittent leave dates) and when an employee will be absent for 15 days or longer. DEC policy (Local-Compensation and Benefits) also requires that all employees submit related leave request forms, return to duty forms, and related leave of absence documentation in a timely manner.
Please send all e-mail correspondence (including requests for leave of absence applications) to Benefits Office