Round Rock ISD Guidelines for Student Transfers (click to expand section)
Parents of a child enrolled in Round Rock ISD may apply for a transfer from the student’s current zoned campus to another campus by submitting an online application or sending a hard copy application to our Student Transfer Office within the designated application window. Schools will open to transfers on a staff and space availability basis. Space and availability will be evaluated by the District in each grade level and/or program and transfers will be based on this evaluation. Parents should be aware that the transfer request will not be approved if additional staff or classrooms are needed to accommodate the transfer student.
Each approved student transfer in grades K through 8 is for one academic year and parents must complete the application process annually. In grades 9 through 12, student transfers will automatically be reviewed annually (without an application) and approved for students meeting attendance, behavior and academic standards and needing to remain on the transfer for the original reason. Those not meeting these requirements will be notified that they have been denied for continuation on a transfer.
Each academic year a list of “open” campuses is published on our Round Rock ISD Student Transfers website. Student transfers to schools listed as open will be approved on a space available basis and if expectations for student behavior, attendance and academics have been met. Should a grade level or program be near capacity, the student transfer may be denied. A “closed” school may still accept transfers of an employee’s child, a continuing transfer student, or a sibling of a continuing transfer student if it does not cause the grade level or program to meet capacity. Student transfers to any campus for any reason will only be approved if the additional student would not result in additional staffing or facility needs at the receiving campus.
The District is not responsible for transportation to a transfer campus, except as provided by statute or policy. Students approved for a transfer to Wells Branch Arts Integration Academy, Berkman Arts Integration Academy and Joe Lee Johnson STEAM Academy may be eligible for transportation services to participate in these unique programs.
Student Transfer Timeline
Transfer applications were accepted from March 1 through March 31 at 5 p.m. The transfer window is now closed. Exceptions may be granted for incoming kindergarten students interested in our Dual Language Program (see below), RRISD employee’s children, or students moving out of that attendance zone during the 2018-2019 school year.
Notification of approval/denial will be made by the end of April.
- Only one application will be accepted per student during March of a school year
- Transfers outside of the window will not be accepted for the upcoming school year. Exceptions to this include:
- new Round Rock ISD employee,
- safety concerns,
- moving in/out attendance zone
- Each campus will contact each continuing transfer student prior to March to inform them of the open transfer window
- High school students who are a continuing transfer will not be required to apply every year (see below for student responsibilities
February 1: New Student Transfer Guidelines Posted
March 1: Application Window Opens for Student Transfers
March 31: Application Window Closes for Student Transfers
April 30: Parent Notification of Approval/Denial of Student Transfer (e-mail notices)
May 7: Parent Notification of Approval/Denial of Student Transfer (U.S. Mail notices)
Adhering to this timeline is critical so Round Rock ISD may allocate personnel appropriately.
Student Transfer Reasons
- High school academies not offered on student’s zoned campus
- Complete 5th, 8th or 12th grade at the school student has been attending
- District employee child requesting within feeder pattern of employee’s work location
- District employee child requesting outside of feeder pattern of employee’s work location
- Specific program desired (i.e. Arts Integration, Dual Language, International Baccalaureate)
- Moving within 60 days (proof required)
- Continuing transfer
- Sibling of a continuing transfer
Kindergarten students must enroll at their home campus. Student transfer requests for kindergartners must also be submitted during the March window. Kindergarten registration opens annually in the month of March. Notification of approval/denial for kindergarten transfers will not be until August 1.
Notification of Transfer Approvals/Denials to Parent/Guardian
Notification of approval/denial for kindergarten transfers will not be until August 1, 2018.
Any student approved for a transfer needs to review local and State UIL requirements to determine eligibility status.
All students on a transfer will be required to:
- Pass all classes each semester
- Have no more than three (3) discipline referrals within one year; no DAEP placements; no DAEP/JAEP placements
- Maintain good attendance; No more than 10 absences/tardies (combined) within one year
High school students who transferred for a certain program of study may continue through graduation without having to apply every year if the student does all of the above and continues in the program of study for which he/she transferred. High school counselors will review the above information each year to determine if the student is eligible to continue on the campus.
Reasons for Denying or Revoking a Transfer
- Not meeting the Student Responsibilities listed above.
- The information provided on the application form is erroneous.
- The requested campus is closed.
- A continuing transfer may be denied due to the growth of a campus.
- Transfers may be denied if there are documented patterns of truancy, late arrivals, leaving early, and/or late pick ups requiring the supervision of the child by school staff.
- The parent/guardian is no longer an employee of Round Rock ISD.
- The educational needs of the student can be met at the student’s zoned campus.
Out of District Transfers
Employee: A nonresident full-time Round Rock ISD employee may request that his or her child be admitted into an Round Rock ISD school by completing an online application. These applications will be reviewed annually. The District reserves the right to place nonresident children in an open campus and/or refuse admittance if a school or the District reaches capacity. The District is not responsible for transportation of transfer students, except as provided by statute or policy.
Senior Only: A senior who has completed his or her junior year as a resident of the District and who has met the attendance, behavior, and academic expectations shall be permitted to enroll and to complete his or her senior year in the District.
Transfers to Participate in Elementary Dual Language for Native English Speakers (Opt-in)
Parents of students entering kindergarten with English as their first language have the opportunity to participate in the district’s dual language program. In this model, kindergarten students are instructed in Spanish for 90% of their day and in English for the remaining 10% of their instructional time. The goal of this program is for students to become bilingual and biliterate by 5th grade. Description of the Dual Language program.
Parents who are interested in pursuing enrollment in the dual language program for their child will be required to attend a district and/or campus Parent Orientation meeting in the spring. The district meeting was held April 11. Beginning in July, student candidates will be screened using an oral language proficiency assessment and are required to score “fluent” in English to be eligible for program enrollment. Upon qualification, parents will complete a dual language program application. Students who have met entry requirements will be entered into campus lotteries in late July.
Available class enrollment for opt-in transfer students into these programs are first made available to students zoned to the campus where the program is held. If your school does not have a dual language program and you are interested in participating, please contact Bertha Benedict at 512-464-5958 to be considered for a transfer into a dual language program. She will coordinate with the campus administrator and/or bilingual instructional coach to determine space availability.
Campuses Open to NEW Student Transfers – 2018-2019
Double File Trail
Joe Lee Johnson STEAM Academy
Wells Branch AIA*
*Arts Integration Academy
All high school student transfers are based on space availability within specific programs of study.
All campuses not listed above are considered closed to new student transfers.
Notes regarding CLOSED campuses –
- A sibling of a continuing transfer student may apply to a closed campus; however, approval is based on space availability.
- A closed school may still accept transfers of an employee’s child if it does not cause the grade level or program to meet capacity.