Joe Lee Johnson Elementary School
A STEAM Academy
2800 Sauls Drive
Austin, TX 78728
Principal, Marc Scott
Hours: 7:40 a.m. – 2:55 p.m.
Colors: Blue & Orange
- School Report Card
- Campus Improvement Plan
- Climate Surveys
- TX Academic Performance Report
- Adequate Yearly Progress
- Accountability Summary
- Distinction Designation Summary
- HB 5 Performance Ratings
Performance Indicators website
What happens at our STEAM Academy?
STEAM education is an approach to teaching and learning that removes the traditional barriers separating the disciplines of science, technology, engineering, and math. Each of these disciplines is creatively enhanced through art integration of real world learning experiences.
We put kids first
Our educators are passionate about teaching and making connections with students. We believe in bringing out the best in our students, engaging and challenging them to become better versions of themselves every day.
Students will have access to:
- Cross-integrated instruction
- Real-world problem solving
- Project Lead the Way
- Capturing Kids’ Hearts
- One-to-one technology access
- Flexible and collaborative learning spaces
- STEAM industry partners
- Student choice enrichment experiences
- Exposure to college and career choices
- Library of the Future
- Outdoor learning spaces and amphitheater
- Individualized learning
As a community we will create an environment that invests in children first, providing intentional opportunities that support the social emotional and academic growth of students to ensure that they thrive and experience success in all domains of life. Through shared
experiences and high quality instruction, our community will be empowered to become problem solving leaders and models for others.
Joe Lee Johnson Trailblazers will become the best version of themselves and own their futures, as they create a lasting legacy through the transfer of experiences into positive world impact.
Joe Lee Johnson served as a principal, coach, teacher and bus driver for Round Rock ISD from 1950 to 1986. He attended and graduated from the district’s segregated Hopewell School, then served as its principal during the desegregation period in 1966.
Johnson Elementary School was approved in the 2014 bond with a bond sale of $36.7 million for the construction project. It will open in August 2016.
2017-18 STAAR Passing Rates
- 3rd Grade Reading – 67% 67% 67%
- 3rd Grade Math – 69% 69% 69%
- 4th Grade Reading – 65% 65% 65%
- 4th Grade Math – 64% 64% 64%
- 4th Grade Writing – 53% 53% 53%
- 5th Grade Reading – 82% 82% 82%
- 5th Grade Math – 85% 85% 85%
- 5th Grade Science – 73% 73% 73%
2017-18 Student Demographics
- African American – 24.6% 24.6% 24.6%
- Hispanic – 32.1% 32.1% 32.1%
- White – 28.5% 28.5% 28.5%
- Native American – 0.5% 0.5% 0.5%
- Asian – 10.2% 10.2% 10.2%
- Pacific Islander – 0.3% 0.3% 0.3%
- Two or more races – 3.8% 3.8% 3.8%
- Economically Disadvantaged – 43.5% 43.5% 43.5%
- English Language Learners 8.6% 8.6% 8.6%
Student Enrollment by program
- Bilingual/ESL – 8.0% 8.0% 8.0%
- Gifted and Talented – 3.2% 3.2% 3.2%
- Special Education – 8.6% 8.6% 8.6%