The School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is a volunteer advisory group that collectively acts to provide recommendations to the Round Rock ISD Board of Trustees. The council’s purpose is to ensure community values, and local health issues are reflected in the District’s health education policies and instructions.
SHAC committees address all factors of the District’s school health program.
- Nutrition and fitness
- Health education
- Health services and general well-being
- Parent and community involvement
- Healthy and safe school environment
The local school health advisory council’s duties include recommending:
- The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education
- Health education curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels that may include a coordinated health education program designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type II diabetes
- Instruction to prevent smoking and substance abuse.
- Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality education.
2019-2020 SHAC Meeting Dates
All meetings will be held at the Round Rock ISD Lillie Delgado Administration Building from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
September 24, 2019
October 29, 2019
December 10, 2019
January 28, 2020
February 25, 2020
April 21, 2020
- Jen Henderson, Chair
- Judge Aurora Martinez Jones, Vice Chair
- Heather Bertero, Secretary
- Machelle Andrew, Parent
- Heather Bertero, Parent
- Hilary Cederquist, Parent
- Claudio Cruz, Community Member
- Kelly Darby, Parent
- Betsy Denny, Community Member
- Cara Edmond, Parent
- Dr. Jennifer Faulkner, Parent
- Dr. Monica Faulkner, Parent
- Dr. Holly Garza, Parent
- Jen Henderson, Parent
- Robyn Honig, Parent
- Nish Jindani, Parent
- Jill Kinman, Parent
- Katy Kyrish, Parent
- Patty Langlet, Community Member
- Judge Aurora Martinez Jones, Parent
- Marlow McShan, Parent
- Snehal Phirke, Parent
- Dr. Tawny Smith, Parent
- Melissa Vandermeer, Parent
Apply to Serve
The School Health Advisory Board occasionally seeks members to serve on the Board. If you are interested in serving on the SHAC, click the apply button.
Substance abuse prevention and intervention
Round Rock ISD is dedicated to the well-being of students and promotes a community that cares about each of its members. If you are experiencing pressures to use drugs seek out a trusted parent, advisor, counselor or send an anonymous alert.